Overview
U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) reported that additional airstrikes were carried out on Sunday against Islamic State-affiliated targets in northeastern Nigeria in coordination with the Nigerian government. The strikes were focused on the Metele area in Borno State after Nigerian defence officials said intelligence indicated a convergence of fighters there.
Operational details and results
Nigeria's Defence Headquarters said the operations involved multiple airstrikes in the Metele area and that the strikes killed more than 20 militants belonging to the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), according to an official statement. AFRICOM said in its announcement that neither U.S. nor Nigerian personnel were injured in the course of the operation.
Context within recent joint missions
The follow-up strikes came one day after a separate U.S.-Nigerian joint mission that resulted in the death of Abu-Bilal al-Minuki. Both the U.S. and Nigerian governments have described al-Minuki as the second in command of Islamic State globally. Leaders in both countries characterized that earlier operation as a major setback for the militant organisation.
Reactions from leadership
Nigerian President Bola Ahmed Tinubu said Nigerian forces cooperated closely with U.S. military personnel in what he called a daring joint operation that inflicted a heavy blow on Islamic State leadership. U.S. President Donald Trump confirmed the development and thanked the Nigerian government for its cooperation; he has previously criticised Nigeria over security issues.
Stated objectives and broader effort
The Nigerian military described the recent strikes as part of sustained efforts to disrupt insurgent networks, remove fighters from the battlefield and deny them safe haven. Borno State, in Nigeria's northeast, has been the epicentre of a long-running insurgency led by Boko Haram and its splinter group ISWAP. The conflict has killed thousands and displaced about 2 million people, according to the information provided by officials cited in the statements.
Implications
Officials framed the combined operations as continuing, coordinated efforts by Nigerian and U.S. forces to degrade the operational capacity of Islamic State affiliates in the region. Statements from the defence authorities and AFRICOM emphasised the casualty figures among militants and the absence of allied casualties in the recent action.
This article presents official accounts and statements released by U.S. and Nigerian authorities regarding the operations. Where details were limited in the statements, those limitations are reflected rather than supplemented.